Monday, October 17, 2005

And the Sun is shining

Well the weather has taken a change for the better here in Dessie, In fact on Sunday I got sun burnt!! We had a good weekend on Friday we treated ourselves to a meal out and a beer!! On Saturday I fumagated my mattresses after allowing many insects to gorge on my body on Friday night. Then I enjoyed a few hours reading in the Garden enjoying the fabulous scenary and burning my arms. Then headed in shopping where I tried out being Ethiopian and carrying my shopping on my head but I think it may take years of strenghtening my neck muscles before I can really carry it off. On Sunday we went in search of vegetables and with what we could find we decided to prepare, a salad, Irish Stew and banannas and chocolate for the Dessie Social event of the week - our first Dinner party. The first surprise was an added guest with no warning at all VSO dropped off Steve another VSO volunteer who will be working in Dessie. Steve is from Kenya and it will be good to have three vols in town for the social company. The dinner party went well, food was enjoyed by all and it was a nice chance for Steve to meet some of the lecturers. One of the lecturers brought his baby who is five months old and adorable. Today once again in work there was another reason why we couldn't visit schools so we busied ourselves making name badges for the teachers we will train. In the afternoon I thought one of the guys how to send an email, it was quite amazing for him as he had no understanding of the internet what so ever so it was also quite funny for me, given his questions and broken English but at least today I feel I helped someone. So life is good here in Dessie, and thanks for all the emails, and messages,
take care
Orla

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ta for the good wishes. J

9:47 p.m. GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great hearing from you the other day. Glad your social life has progressed!! graham and i sent you a parcel today, hope you get it soon.

take care

Eithne

5:46 p.m. GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Orla,
Sounds like things are looking up - you may soon be able to pull back on the post office visits with a social life that sounds like its starting to take off!
Luv Gay

8:30 p.m. GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Orla,
Play went great tonight.. We nailed It!!
Jerome

1:18 a.m. GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi That person called Gay thinks she has me sussed!!!
J

1:25 a.m. GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where's Uncle Jim now that we need him.
J

1:26 a.m. GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to point out that Gay is a name rather than a sexual orientation!
I saw a brilliant play in Skerries last night - a great comedy. It was probably even worth considering a trip from Dundalk (north of Dublin).
I agree that this is a huge bonus - I expected to get a handle on the geography of Ethiopia - but here we are geeting Irish Geography too!! Look what you've started Orla!!

9:26 a.m. GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Orla,
Saw the play last night. Don't be surprised if you find that locks, keys, bolts etc. all mysteriously vanish in your house in Skerries coming up to important events such as family weddings... Jerome may begin to get a little paranoid about them..........

9:34 a.m. GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't mind that Gay person, who ever she is!! I only get a little bit cross when Mimsey won't GAT OUT O' THAT BATHROOM!!!!!!!!
Jerome

8:50 p.m. GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home