Saturday, February 25, 2006

Mekelle - the Tokyo of Ethiopia

Well, I didn’t post last week as I went to Mekelle for the weekend. Mekelle is a city about 400km north of Dessie. It is the prime minister’s home town so a lot of money has been spent on it and to my mind it looked more European than anywhere else in Ethiopia but then after six months here my judgement may be slightly warped, but they don’t allow farm animals in the city so that is probably what makes it feel more normal, even in Addis Ababa there are sheep and goats in the city centre. Mekelle also has palm trees lining the streets and footpaths!! It is no wonder that Ethiopians joke it is Tokyo!

We had a great weekend, I managed to get a lift in a four wheel drive that was going from here and for the small inconvenience of allowing the driver chat me up for the whole journey I got to sit in the front, worth it for the comfort though I had to enlist help shaking him off when we got to Mekelle. Also he allowed me to keep my window open which is unheard of in Ethiopia, I think it may be a criminal offence to open a window in a moving vehicle but every time he shut the window I stopped smiling so he allowed me to keep it open.

I left Dessie at 5:30am and was in Mekelle by 1:30pm, just in time for lunch. There I met with a whole load of other volunteers from Addis, Mekelle, Abi Adi and Dilla. Including Susan the other Irish volunteer, so we just had a great weekend taking it easy visiting the cafes by day and the pubs by night (they actually have pubs in Mekelle! and a night club!!!!!). It was a very relaxing weekend, but I was staying in a not very nice hotel but it was clean on the last night I moved to a seemingly nicer hotel, where I was attacked by cockroaches there were loads of them, I killed eight of them but they kept coming so I went and stayed with Susan. Susan came back to Dessie for a few days with me, so we headed to the bus station to get the bus, no one wanted to know when we said Dessie all they cared about was who was going to Addis Ababa. There were hoards of people queuing up and a man was beating them back from the gates with a stick, I asked another man was there a bus to Dessie, and he took us past the stick beating man and into the bus station, where another person put us on a bus for Dessie a good half an hour before they let the crowd in and good job because the crowd all ran and pushed onto the bus and it was full in two seconds, sometimes I don’t mind the preferential treatment. It isn’t like other African countries as Ethiopia wasn’t colonised so there is no anti-white feeling and they are just really nice to you because you are a guest, the sad thing is they always say “but if I were a guest in your country it would be the same” somehow I don’t think so.

Back in Dessie I finally bit the bullet and went to the doctor after a bit of an on going stomach complaint. The trip to the doctor was a memorable one but one I don’t think I will share with the world it was all embarrassing enough at the time without repeating it, but things are done very differently here and I was just very very glad it wasn’t the young doctor who I had to see. I think the doctor was afraid of misdiagnosing the foreigner so diagnosed many things and put me on a clatter of tablets, I have been asleep for practically three days and when awake feel slightly out of it, but the stomach problem has improved so should be right as rain again next week.

Due to all the sleeping I didn’t go to work too much this week, but people have been really good calling me to see if I am ok and offering to come visit etc. We got a delivery of new books this week and next week will have a meeting with the supervisors and a teaching resources preparation workshop so the second semester will be kicking off and hopefully we will be a little busier in work.

This week Susan was here and one day we were discussing how if Irish people meet each other abroad you generally say hello etc and how other nationalities don’t seem to do this, that night coincidently we met a man in the local shop who was travelling around Ethiopia and he was from Killarney. I think he was as shocked as we were to meet someone from home but we had a good chat, it was very surreal.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are on the mend. You must be skinny as a rake by now. I can imagine you in the four wheel drive for hours, window up window down.

Love Dor XX

4:18 p.m. GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Orla,
Hope you're feeling better. I think the ould home brew mightn't agree with you.
A bit of footy news for Uncle Jimmy and Fiachra.
Guna Trading drew 0-0 with Ethiopian Coffee in Mekele.In other matches, Trans boys and Ethiopian Coffee also ended in a 0-0 match and Wonji Sugar beat Adama City 2-0 in Nazreth.
See Ya
Jerome

10:36 a.m. GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey TORLS,
Meant to find you out at christmas and your birthday. Hope you read your comments. Sound like you're on the mend. Hope all is going well. Nothing as exciting as your life doing here. Look forward to maybe emailing you soon. Take care babe. Hope your family and all are doing well. Fair play to James for popping over for christmas, Ludi sends his love.

Aaron.

6:29 p.m. GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Orla!

I have finaly gotten round to reading your journal. Sorry it took so long! I am fully up to date now though. It so interesting. I really admire what you are doing.
Sorry to hear you were not feeling well. I hope you get better soon.
OK, well I'll be waiting for your next entry so keep them coming, they keep my lunchtimes in work so interesting!

Talk to ya soon!
Emma-Jane

PS
I still have your xmas present!! how unorganised am I! it's just something small, but I think you could've done with it over the winter months. I will try and send it ASAP.
See ya!

1:21 p.m. GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Orla,

Im working in Theatre this week, was yapping to a doctor from Ethiopa and was telling him where you are living. He was telling me he is going home in a few months and he could visit, I said you were coming back next week because as the day progressed i thought he was a bit of a weirdo and i dont think you need another one to add to your collection!!

Hope you are getting over your sickness... if you need any irish antibotics let me know!! Maybe there sleeping tablets that the doctor has given you!!!

Graham says hi.

Hi Dor and Eileen, dor im still waiting for you to come visit me, you;de want to hurry up, im moving to the country in 6 weeks!!

5:27 p.m. GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey O

Sorry I've not been in touch, I've just finished movingt house which was as stressful as it has been the other dozen times I've moved... I think I might give it at least a year before I move again

Hope yr feeling better and I'll write you once I get settled

xxx

F (+É)

3:54 p.m. GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Orla
Hope all the pills and potions have worked and you are feeling better by now - at least you can console yourself - you could probably stop babies crying if you jump up and down - all those pills should surely rattle well!!

Take it easy.
Love,
Gay xx

8:35 a.m. GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home